Through the Mission Window

Mission San José y San Miguel de Aguayo

While visiting Mission San José y San Miguel de Aguayo, I found myself inside a dwelling of someone who lived and worked at the mission. I was fascinated by the light spilling into dark space. I failed to bring my tripod with me so I hoped for the best when I took several shots through this open window. Miraculously, I got one or two shots that were in focus for the most part. I added a texture, kk-Chaos, from Kim Klassen to bring out some detail on the wall.

While at this mission, I stopped by the Visitor's Center and watched the National Park Service's video about life in Texas during the time the missions were being built. The Native American people used fire to herd animals toward the hunters, and as a result, new grasses sprouted across the ground when the rains came. Fire was beneficial to the land in keeping other pesky plants from taking root. Today, much of that same region has been overtaken by cactus.

I also learned that the missions were painted in bright colors.



I wonder what it would have been like...riding across the hot Texas prairie...grasses blowing in the breeze...to come upon Mission San José...a bright white beacon in a harsh land with a brightly colored design painted on its walls. A small panel remains on the mission wall today as a reminder of its former beauty.


Comments

Popular Posts