Utah State Fair


This year I worked at the Utah State Fair for three weeks. I took the position because I thought I would be helping out my relatives by doing secretarial work in the livestock office. They were desperate for help. Little did I know that my family had decided not to enter their cattle in the fair this year. The learning curve was steep and the 10-hour days I agreed to became 14-hour days from the get-go. With an additional 45 minutes travel time to and from the fair park I was away from home for 15 to 16 hours a day. I left Grantsville in the dark and returned home in the dark. 

Did I tell you the the learning curve was steep? The data entry wasn't a problem...it was constant and I know what cows, lambs, pigs and goats look like, but who knew I would need to know the details of each breed and deal with the animals being moved from one lot to another by their owners over and over again which kept me at the computer endlessly. Many times I sat there just trying to keep from getting up and walking off the fair grounds. I made a commitment so I stuck it out, but it was one of the hardest jobs I've ever had. I've never been so tired and frustrated. 

I think working at the fair is like having a first baby. While one is in labor one swears they will "NEVER do this again," but the pain is forgotten and another child born. What I'm saying is...if they ask me to work again next year...I think I will. :o)





Comments

Popular Posts