Notes From the Garden


Our Windmill
My family has had a few tough years. My mother passed away 5 months ago. I took care of her for 8 months before she made her transition. My daughter-in-love is in hospice now. Our annual trip to Moab, Utah was attended by only part of the family. I missed it and Sara missed it. 

But, though we are now participating in "social distancing" and I'm missing family and friends, I'm finding peace in my garden. Clarissa Pinkola Estes wrote:

What is that which can never die? It is that faithful force that is born into us that one that is greater than us that calls new seed to the open in battered and barren places so that we can be resown. It is this force in its insistence in its loyalty to us in its love of us in its most often mysterious ways that is far greater far more majestic and far more ancient than any heretofore ever known.”

I love going into the garden after its winter sleep and finding life emerging through frosty brown earth. My favorite surprise is always the rhubarb. The leaves of the rhubarb are fabulous and as spring and summer fly by the rhubarb leaves grow huge and their sturdy leaves feel so good to the touch. The strawberries are sweet in June, the asparagus fills our plates for a time in the spring and other vegetables are waiting to be planted in the garden. We grow peas, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, garlic, raspberries, strawberries, cucumbers for pickling and corn. It is a delight to watch the garden fill our yard with beautiful color and food. 


Strawberries

Rhubarb

Garlic
Jalapeno and Banana Peppers...
waiting their turn to be planted in the garden.

I can't wait for our garden to bloom.


And so it begins...

North-40

Some of the seeds are in the ground and seedlings are growing in the basement. In a months or so the garden will come alive. It's a wonderful time to visit during the Covid-19 stay in place order.




Comments

Popular Posts