Slave Quarters ~ Laura Plantation


The Laura Plantation is a Creole plantation. The main house was built on "stilts" to survive the Mississippi River at flood stage (a dike runs along the river now) and has been brightly painted as it was in bygone days. The tour guide gestured where slaves might have been bought and sold and pointed where wagons traveled up and down the lane with human cargo stopping at each plantation along the way. 

I took this shot on a bright sunny morning...not a cloud in the sky and yet I could not process the image in such warm circumstances. I've worked on this for many days and still, I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I cannot get over my gut response to the extraordinary conditions and differences between slave and slave owner. The image has been processed, not so much as how the cabin looks today...but how I feel about it!

Texture ~ Scratched Four by Photo Melange (Cat Hair Studios)

Comments

  1. I like what you have done here - expressing your emotional reaction through the processing - I think it does an amazing job of capturing your dark emotional response to the photo's subject.

    And even recognizing this, I can't help but react to the creativity you have exhibited in the presentation - I love the addition of the framing element and the way the tree breaks the frame. The dark moodiness and atmosphere. In my view, you have succeeded in your goal to both express your discomfort and create a haunting image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda. I was and I still am so moved by what I saw in Louisiana. Since returning from there, I watched Beasts of the Southern Wild...a haunting movie which added to my feelings about the cultures and people past and present of the region. I thought I would never go back to Louisiana...well, I might! :o)

      Delete
  2. It's a haunting image, beautifully created. I think it's a wonderful response to your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,

      Thank you for your kind comment. My mom, who is 88 years old, just returned home so I'm hoping I can get caught up with reading your blog and finally get connected.

      I'm sad the postcard swap has come to an end. I haven't seen any of my cards out there, but maybe I'll see some at the Blog Hop! :o)

      Take care and have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  3. It is dramatic and beautiful image. Incredible that this was taken on a clear sunny day - fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...thank you for stopping by. Louisiana was an emotional place for me, but I'd love to go back!

      Take care!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by...I appreciate your visit!

Popular Posts